Thursday, March 20, 2014

Butterfly ~ I like it...now!

It was very tough to get up this morning.  But I am sure glad I did.  It had a great workout and I feel amazing.  I wish I could feel this good all day long.  Tom gave us a really good workout and then he gave us an amazing training on butterfly.  I have never felt so comfortable with this stroke before.  It was great!  I hope he does it again and often!

Here is the workout and my short notes about the butterfly session:

300 Warm Up Swim/Kick/Swim

Twice @:30 sec base:
2x75 6 kick drill
2x50 skulling w/staight arms in front (like a mummy)
2x25 build

20x50 holding pace (:35 or faster)@:50 (I held :34 & :33)
    The goal here is to hold your race pace until you cannot do it any longer.  If you miss your pace for two 50's in a row, you should stop.

175 easy

Butterfly Breakdown:
50 kick (stomach down/on back back)  focus on head being neutral
50 kick on stomach arms out front ~ focus on stretching arms and chest and getting butt in the air
8x25 progressive fly  start with 2 second glide, 1 sec glide, regular
**think about head coming up when hands start to pull.  Get your chest and head down deep each stroke.  Get your butt in the air each stroke.  Head and chest act as weight on a lever to get strong kick.

I wish you could come to Tom's class.  It was the best butterfly training I have ever had.  I have always struggled through fly.  Today made it very easy and relaxed.  I definitely need to strengthen my back muscles.  That and my arm to chest flexibility would really help my fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment