Sunday, July 13, 2014

Misadventures at Deer Creek Reservoir

Yesterday was the day that Matt and I planned to practice as a team (kayaker & swimmer) at Deer Creek.  We got the kayak from Shawn.  Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to work for us.  The spot we went was perfect!  I pushed Matt off the shore then dove in and set straight away to swimming.  When I looked back, Matt was floating around in circles.  He could not get the kayak to go in the proper direction because it had a flat bottom without any keel or rudder!  After about 10 minutes of us trying to get it to work, Matt finally had to bail out.  The boat was full of water!  I powered us to shore.  I had to do breaststroke, yuck!  It was a very bad experience for Matt.  He almost threw in the towel.  But when we got home he found a good kayak at REI to rent and we picked it up.

So this morning we went again.  The beach we found was even better than last time.  It is in the same area but at the end of the inlet. The new kayak worked perfectly!  We went up and back the inlet twice for a total of 4 miles.  My lower back kept cramping and spasming.  But if I stretch at every mile like I did at Deer Creek, I think I can make it across Bear Lake.  I really hope that we can am well and only go 7 miles instead of 8.  4 miles was tough enough for me!  I am a bit nervous about the 8 but now I have some good open water lake swims under my belt and I am feeling more confident!

Here is a link to the bay we went to.  I believe it is called Wallsburg. 
 https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4115778,-111.4914632,15z

No comments:

Post a Comment