Sunday, June 29, 2014

Deek Creek open water practice

Thanks to Karen, Mandi, & Gerald!  We spent the afternoon practicing our open water swimming skills at Deer Creek Reservoir.  I had a blast!  I was expecting to feel some sea sickness or fear of the open water, but I had no issues at all.  In fact, there were times I couldn't stop smiling while I was swimming.

At first I tested out with the wet suit.  It is a sleeveless one I am borrowing from Mandi (just like my wedding dress).  I was fast at putting it on.  I think the trick is to roll it up.  I got it on my ankles, right where I wanted it.  Then I rolled it up to my knees, and so on.  It was really fast. 

When I walked into the water I couldn't even feel the water on my legs.  It was a strange and cozy feeling.  The wet suit was very comforting and felt like a security blanket wrapped snugly around me.  I was surprised that I liked it so much.  And boy does the wet suit make you buoyant!  And warm.  My ear canals were cold at first, but that was it.  Everything else was just fine.  But the water was a bit warmer than I thought it would be.  I tried it for a lap without the suit too.  If the water at Bear Lake warms up, I might just be able to do it without the wet suit after all.

I did not keep very good track of how far I swam. But I swam for about an hour or so with some small breaks throughout.  I think if was somewhere around 1 1/2 miles.  That is pretty good.  I was definitely slower without the suit on.  I am hoping that Matt and I can do another practice swim in the next couple of weeks. 

Afterwards, they treated me to a wonderful little cookout with some delicious potato salad and chicken kabobs.  All in all, it was a wonderful experience.  And we when home through Provo Canyon.  I was surprised how nice, green, and beautiful it is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment