Monday, February 24, 2014

Homemade Deodorant ~ Day Two

I finally did it. I made my own deodorant.  I used this recipe:  http://www.budget101.com/tips-tricks/chemical-free-homemade-deodorant-4166.html.  It was super easy.  And thanks to my friend Jamie, I didn't have to buy any vitamin E or Lavender oil to test it out.  I will definitely be buying some in the future! Make sure to use cooking tools separate from your food tools.  Although none of it is bad to eat, the beeswax is very challenging to remove.  I used a new steel bowl as a double boiler and it work like a charm.  But it will definitely not be used for food cooking...just cosmetic cooking.

Here are the ingredients and instructions:

"4 Tbs. Coconut Oil
12 drops Lavender Essential Oil
3 drops Vit E Oil (or the contents of 1 vitamin E capsule, just prick it with a needle & squeeze)
2 Tbs. Baking Soda
2 Tbs Corn Starch or arrowroot powder
2 tsp Grated Beeswax or beeswax pellets
1 Empty Deodorant Container

In a small saucepan combing the coconut oil and beeswax over very low heat, alternatively you can use a double boiler, but don't use the microwave for this one. The coconut oil will melt quickly, the beeswax will take a few moments.
Remove from heat, cool slightly, and stir in baking soda, cornstarch, vitamin E and lavender essential oil. It is imperative that you use True Essential oil and NOT a fragrance oil. The lavender offers antibacterial properties in addition to a great scent. The beeswax will help your finished product stay firm in the container. The vitamin E is a natural preservative."
**this is directly taken from www.budget101.com.**  I think I might also try adding some tea tree oil next time.


So far the results have made me pretty happy.  Admittedly it is only the second day, and it is winter.  But I am always hot, and the ladies at work really like the heat up.  The first day I put it on as usual, after I put my shirt on.  I usually do this to keep those nasty deodorant lines from showing up on my nice shirts.  Well, that doesn't work with homemade deodorant.  I also used too much.  So I ended up getting an oily mess on the armpits of my shirt.  This also left me smelling a bit tropical.  At least Matt thought I smelled like coconut.  I thought I smelled like a strange mix of lavender and beeswax.

Today I made sure to put it on lightly and before my shirt.  I gave my pits plenty of time to absorb the healthy coconut oil.  I didn't have any problems this time with oiliness.  I also do not smell tropical.  Most importantly, I don't have that sweaty armpit smell either. 

I have looked into this many times before.  The problem I always have is that there are too many recipes and options to choose from.  This time I got the recipe from my cousin Stephie.  And I just went for it.  I hope that I keep loving it so much!

The last great thing about this was that I needed beeswax...which I didn't have.  So I got to visit Sprouts Farmers Market for the first time.  What a great store!  It reminds me of Whole Foods when it was Wild Oats.  Small and unique.  I loved the bulk bins and the coffee was on sale!  I will definitely be going back there! 

Bonus~there is an emergency supply store next door which is also pretty cool...they have some dehydrated water.  All you have to do is add water....get it? Just add water...I thought it was hilarious, once I realized it was joke!

Next cosmetic project is lip balm!  Orange maybe?  What flavor would you choose?  Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment